Four years ago this week the Tuesdays With Dorie bakers were baking Orange Berry Muffins, from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours, so muffins are on the menu this Tuesday here at Chez Dogs Eat The Crumbs. The recipe calls for blueberries, but I decided that the cranberries lurking in my fridge would make the perfect pairing with the orange flavor featured in these muffins. My mom made the best cranberry/orange bread when I was young, and I knew that orange cranberry muffins would be bound to give a warm start to a winter morning!
- These muffins are made with buttermilk, orange (juice and zest) and honey along with the usual suspects of flour, sugar, butter, eggs and leavening. You can find the recipe on Michelle (now the Brown Eyed Baker)'s old blog, here.
- I always slice my cranberries crosswise in two or three pieces because I like seeing their wagon-wheel like spokes in my finished baked goods.
- The recipe is a snap to put together and the muffins were wonderfully fragrant while they baked.
I served these muffins for breakfast over the Christmas holidays and they were well-received. They are simple and homey and the tart cranberries provide a great contrast to the soft sweetness of the muffin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Other TWD bakers are catching up with the recipes they missed:
- Leslie also made the muffins, and hers are all gussied up.
- Margaret made the berry surprise cake, which I remember being a ton of work; good job!