Sunday, September 13, 2009

Flash-Roasted Halibut on Green Herbs


I love popping into my local library and browsing the cookbook section. I've found some wonderful books there, ones that I've added to my own library, and others that I've politely returned. One that I've enjoyed is The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper cookbook. Although I haven't listened to the radio show, the book itself is quite inventive in layout and is so interesting that it can double as bedtime reading.

One of the first recipes that I bookmarked was for Flash-Roasted Trout on Green Herbs. I love fish and this sounded like a quick and tasty weeknight dish. I substituted my favorite fish, halibut.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- The fish didn't get as browned as I would have liked, but that was mostly an aesthetic objection.

- I wish I'd removed the bottom skin from the pieces of fish so the herbs would have steeped up through the fish as it cooked. As it was the herbs still gave delicious flavor to the fish.

the verdict:

Served with steamed broccoli, a bountiful summer salad, and some crusty ciabatta (still store-bought), this was a wonderful dinner. I loved being able to step outside to my herb plants and pick everything I needed for the bed of herbs, and, even more, I loved finding a delicious recipe from a great new cookbook.

the recipe:

Flash-Roasted Halibut on Green Herbs
Adapted from The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper

Extra virgin olive oil
6 or 7 sprigs each of fresh herbs similar to herbes de Provence, a total of 38 sprigs
4 whole scallions, coarse chopped
4 whole farmed rainbow trout, rinsed and patted dry (I substituted halibut filets)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large lemon cut into 4 wedges

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan and preheat in middle of oven.

2. Rinse herbs and scallions and dry them on paper towels.

3. Make 3 slashed in the skin side of the fish. Rub olive oil on the outside of the fish and into the slashes. Put crushed garlic into slashes and salt and pepper the fish.

4. Scatter herbs and scallions on the heated pan to create a nest for the fish; lay the fish on top, with room between the pieces of fish. Roast until fish is nearly opaque.

5. With two spatulas, lift fish on the herbs onto serving platter. Squeeze lemon juice over the fish and garnish with lemon wedges.

12 comments:

Maria said...

What a perfect meal!

Audrey said...

Looks wonderful! TST doesn't air in this market either...I wish it did! I haven't looked through this book yet (I want to, now!) but btw they have a great recipe newsletter which comes every Weds. by email...if you google their web site you'll find it.

Kayte said...

This looks wonderful! I love all your little notes by the way as I learn a ton from those little notes each post.

Jennifer said...

This meal looks WONDERFUL, Nancy!

You can listen to The Splendid Table online. Lynne Rosetto-Kasper is such a wellspring of information!

Unknown said...

Oh, this looks fantastic Nancy! So simple yet elegant. I love getting cookbooks from the library and trying them out before deciding if I want to buy them!

margot said...

That looks like a lovely meal; I am not very creative when it comes to cooking fish and can always use new ideas. Isn't checking cookbooks out from the library the best? It's so nice to get a test-run.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks delicious--I love fish cooked with herbs.

Anonymous said...

Because of you I've started checking out cookbooks from the library. It's a great way to try it out before buying.

Cathy said...

This looks fabulous! David is always saying that we need to cook more fish (which probably means that I need to cook more fish) and this really looks like a simple and delicious preparation!

Anonymous said...

Halibut with scallions, garlic, and herbs sounds so delicious. I love halibut and ate a lot of it recently on vacation, but I don't make it at home. I need to change that!

Mary Ann said...

I love how this looks and sounds. I love serving fish and halibut is definitely one of my favorites-not a big fan of trout. How fun that you picked all the herbs- I love being able to do that!

Karine said...

This looks healthy and delicious! Thanks for sharing:)