Saturday, September 13, 2008

Summer Dinner Party II (Mexican): black bean and corn salad


This evening we invited another couple to dinner on the spur of the minute. We share a love of Mexican flavors, and I wanted them to try the chicken enchiladas verdes recipe that I found earlier this week. To complement the enchiladas, I made a black bean and corn salad. The original recipe, from the Georgia Pecan Commission recipe page, has orzo in it and it makes an all-in-one side dish, but this evening I served it without the orzo as a salad on a bed of lettuce. I've seen a similar dish called "Texas caviar" - this one is different because it has black beans, toasted Georgia pecans, and a very simple healthy dressing of lime juice, olive oil and cumin.

4 comments:

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

This looks really similar to a recipe I just made (but haven't posted yet). I may use parts from mine and this to create a hybrid one that's even better. Thanks for sharing.
PS I don't know why I didn't pick up on the fact that you're here in Atlanta until just now, but I'm glad to share some of your GA pride and interest.

Matt's Kitchen said...

This salad is on my must try list. It looks like a perfect combination of textures and flavors!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Lisa, I've actually made a hybrid recipe from this one myself, but it was a year or so ago, and I can't find my notes of it anywhere :(

If you come up with a great combination, let me know.

Matt, we really really enjoyed this. It lasted us for 3 dinners, and kept well. I was worried that the pecans would get soft but they really didn't.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Your photo is SO much more beautiful than the one on the pecan website.