Sunday, September 21, 2008

Rocket Time!


On my first visit to London, I noticed that the English seem to be mildly obsessed with rocket, their catchy name for arugula. It is on the menu at nearly every restaurant in the city. For a fixed price pre-theatre dinner at Portrait, the restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery, I had an arugula salad and pasta with arugula (we had a choice between two dishes for each course) and both were fantastic.

But it wasn't until my husband and I vacationed in Berlin a year ago that I began to be preoccupied with arugula myself. We ate at Italian restaurants for at least 5 meals and I had a "rucola" salad each time. Upon our return home I found myself craving this peppery-flavored green.

I try to always have a stash of arugula/rocket/rucola/roquette in the fridge, and I make an arugula salad at least once a week. My method is simple: toss the arugula with a bit of my best olive oil - just enough to coat the leaves. Pile on a plate, top with shaved parmesan cheese and halved cherry tomatoes. I find that the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes pairs very well with the sharp pepper flavor of the arugula. The parmesan provides a nutty/salty presence. You can add salt and pepper to taste, and even some chopped garlic.

Sometimes I omit the olive oil, when I'm being really virtuous (not lately, however!) and it tastes almost as good. But mind you, I am one that really doesn't mind eating my salads without dressing.

This salad makes a great accompaniment to any Italian dish. We always have this when we eat pasta. This evening I used the last of the cherry tomatoes that a friend gave us from her garden.

I've ordered some arugula plants from my farm box folks, and I'll see how/if I can keep it alive indoors this winter. I'd imagine it won't be prolific enough for salad, but maybe for sandwiches and pasta and garnish.

4 comments:

27Susans said...

Great post. I love arugula by any name. I posted about my arugula, tomato & mango salad a few weeks ago. I sometimes use balsamic vinegar -no oil- as dressing. Have you tried stilton with bits of apricot in it? Nice sweet contrast to the bite of the leaves. I like parmesan too.
I guess I better bake those chocolate cookies from last week. You've got great photos on your site.

Cathy said...

Oh, this is totally my kind of side dish! I love how our English friends call this rocket. I laughed when there was a silly little scuttlebutt early in campaign season about "the price of arugula at Wholefoods," and I thought then what I think now -- SURELY no matter where we fall on the political spectrum, we can all agree that arugula is one MIGHTY fine little leaf.

La Bella Cooks said...

I love rocket and use it quite often in salads, sandwiches and basically whatever I can try it on! Good luck with your own plant.

Flourchild said...

Hi! I've passed you an award over at my blog. Just wanted to notify you to check it out! Keep blogging!!