Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lardon love


I mentioned earlier my discovery of Benton bacon cut into lardons. Although we eat very little pork, we've become mildly obsessed with these little bits of smoky goodness. Plus we love the word "lardons" - and look for any excuse to mention lardons (in as French an accent as we can muster).

It's become our Sunday ritual to come home from church and enjoy scrambled eggs with lardons, onions, hot peppers and cheese. When I'm feeling particularly virtuous, I'll scramble one egg white for every whole egg, to cut the fat and cholesterol. And I cook as much fat as I can out of the bacon. The best part: my splatter guard has lingering remants of a great smoky smell now that I enjoy every time I open the pots and pans drawer.


Sunday. My favorite breakfast of the week.

{update: Basically, lardons are bacon that's been cut in little pieces. And very much related to "lard" unfortunately... Wikipedia says "lardons are frequently used in French cuisine to flavor salads, stews, quiches, potatoes, omelettes and other dishes" Stay tuned for further lardon postings, as I work through the lardon stash that's in my freezer.}

4 comments:

Deb said...

I have never heard of lardons. Don't you think "lard on", rather than lardon is more suited to bacon lol. But I'm with you, the smell of smokey bacon cooking....mmmmm

Cathy said...

Oooh -- I am intrigued. I have not heard of lardons before reading your post. But if they are anywhere in the bacon family, I know that I would love them. Do you get them in specialty stores, or are they available in regular old supermarkets? I'm a breakfast person anyway, so your picture is just making my mouth water!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Basically, lardons are bacon that's been cut in little pieces. And very much related to "lard" unfortunately...

Wikipedia says "lardons are frequently used in French cuisine to flavor salads, stews, quiches, potatoes, omelettes and other dishes"

You could no doubt use any bacon and cut it into pieces, around 1/4in x 1in. I've just gotten hooked on this Benton bacon from Tennessee.

I'll be posting more fun with lardons. They are addictive!
Nancy

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

"lardons". tee hee hee