Friday, September 26, 2008

Fun with tomatillas!

After making chicken enhiladas verdes with jarred green salsa, I spotted tomatillas at the Publix. Time to try out home-made salsa verde! I followed the recipe at Simply Recipes - so easy - just pull the paper-y covering off the tomatillos, rinse them, simmer them for a few minutes with some peppers...


and then pop them in the blender with a some garlic, onion, cilantro, and a bit of the cooking liquid. Done! And delicious!!


We had friends over for dinner a few weeks ago, and this fresh salsa went into another batch of enchiladas. This time around I made the recipe as a casserole, covering the rolled enchiladas with the sauce (salsa verde whisked with Greek yogurt) and some shredded pepper jack cheese, and popped it all in the oven covered with foil. Just before serving, I ran the pan under the broiler to brown the cheese. I served the enchiladas with black bean and corn salad, homemade guacamole, and tortilla chips. Everything was so flavorful!

{Update November 19, 2008: I've now discovered a salsa verde/ enchilade recipe that I like even better! You can find the entry here.}

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Ah, another great thing about food blogging. Learning what to do with the really intimdating vegetables like tomatillas! Before, I would have thought that tomatillas were for "other people" because I didn't have the first clue how to prepare them. But thanks to your great post and very helpful pictures, I will feel a little more confident next time I pass by these in the store. These must be SO good with the homemade salsa verde. I'm eager to try this!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I know what you mean. I bought some "dinosaur egg pluots" yesterday. Before TWD I didn't know what on earth a pluot was! I might even make a dimply pluot cake with them...
Nancy

Jacque said...

Mmmm, I love tomatilla salsa! This sounds delicious... and inspiring.