Tuesday, August 30, 2011

{TWD} Blueberry Cornmeal Loaf-lets

Many years ago I learned a nifty trick from my sister-in-law for dressing up a plain box of Jiffy Cornbread mix: add blueberries and make muffins. I've served the blueberry/cornmeal muffins at brunches and luncheons, and they are always popular. When this week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe, Cornmeal Fruit Loaf came along, I knew exactly which fruit I wanted to try.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- We can thank Caitlin of the blog Engineer Baker for choosing this week's breakfast treat; click over to her post to find the recipe.

- Dorie's recipe calls for a mixture of dried and fresh versions of the same fruit. She suggests apples (dried + fresh) or pears (dried + fresh) At the time I baked this recipe, I had fresh + dried blueberries which I was excited to use, but in the future I'd try fresh + dried cherries.

- I made half a recipe. My pan collection has lots of cute little rectangular loaf pans that would have worked for the scaled-down recipe, but what caught my eye were some pretty flower-shaped baking molds that my daughter picked up for me when she traveled to Hong Kong. The batter is put together exactly like muffin batter, so I figured these would be perfect muffin-like loaf-lets. There was just enough batter in the half recipe to fill the four little pans.

- This was a simple recipe, and baked up in 22 minutes or so.


the verdict:

These were a lot like corn muffins with fruit in them. The dried and fresh blueberries combined to produce an intense blueberry sensation with each bite. We thought they were a terrific addition to the summer breakfast repertory. One suggestion: if you tend to like your cornbread sweet, go ahead and put the full measure of sugar in, otherwise you could cut the amount of sugar a bit.

12 comments:

Kayte said...

Well these are so dang cute in those little flower pans that I probably should have made them for cuteness alone. Blueberries look nice in them. I got all the ingredients out and put them all away again, no inspiration to make these, sorry to say. Cornbread is and "iffy" commodity around here at best, so figure I will save the calories for something lemon soon. You did a wonderful job of presenting these!

Tia said...

your pans are really cute! looking good.

Abby said...

Those tins are adorable!!

Nicole said...

Those flower-shaped baking molds are great! This would be good with blueberries.

Flourchild said...

Cut cute cute tins..love them! Your little loafs look wonderful and why didn't I think of Blueberries!!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Love those tin/molds! And blueberries sound like an awesome idea!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Super-cute, Nancy! I bet the blueberries were perfect in this! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love these little pans. I have plenty of blueberries so it looks like I know what's for breakfast.

Jeannette said...

i learned a lot of neat little tricks to dress up boxed mixes, etc too. i'm glad that i'm not the only one that used to do that ;) i must say, those flower tins are the cutest thing i've seen all day!! i would love to make little brownies or even cupcakes in them. can you imagine vanilla cupcakes with pastel colored frosting to match the flower theme? too cute. i'm not particularly big on cornmeal in baked goods (other than cornbread really) but this was a nice venture out of the norm! lovely!

Unknown said...

The more TWD posts I read this week, the more bummed I am that I sat out. Your version with the blueberries is right up my alley, and they look so cute in their little flower tins!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

how nice that you used summer berries! this sounds like a great variation.

TeaLady said...

LOVE those little muffin pans.

blueberries would be perfect with the cornbread type batter.

Next time I will try blueberries.