Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tart Lemon Bars


Lemon bars are the Little Black Dress of the dessert world. They are season-less, elegant, and always in good taste. Nearly everyone likes lemon bars, making them a logical choice for a group, and they are fairly easy to transport, making them appropriate for nearly every occasion.

I've eaten many a lemon bar, and baked several different recipes (and a box mix or two, shhh!) in my day, and I was eager to try this recipe for Tart Lemon Bars from Alice Medrich's book Pure Dessert. Medrich's recipes are always impeccable, a perfect trait in a lemon bar!

n.o.e.'s notes:

- You can find the recipe here.

- The recipe can be made with lemons or limes. Medrich notes that in the case of using Meyer lemons, which are milder in flavor than regular lemons, you should cut sugar nearly in half.

- I made this recipe several months ago when I had Meyer lemons on hand, so I decided to try that variation. I like that it has less added sugar.

- As they bake the bars can get a foamy film on the top, but no worries, the powdered sugar will cover it.


the verdict:

These lemon bars are amazing. They have a wonderful lemon flavor on a buttery crust. This will be my go-to lemon bar recipe from now on, and I am eager to try the lime version next!

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love all things lemon!!!

Di said...

I remember trying these. Quite tasty, though they won't quite replace my go-to. I do love her crust made with the melted butter, though. So easy!

cocoa and coconut said...

Gosh, that looks just delicious! So smooth! You're so right that these are elegant and always-in.

Kayte said...

So pretty...I just love the look of lemon bars. These look wonderful and very nice to hear this is the definitive recipe for them.

Leslie said...

These look wonderful! I'm going to have to try her recipe but might get crazy and make it with limes. Lemon bars are timeless and loved by everyone.

Pamela said...

Saving!! Love me some lemon bars!