Thursday, July 2, 2009

Parmesan Flans with Tomatoes and Basil


When I saw the recipe for Parmesan Flans with Tomatoes and Basil I was transfixed. All of my favorite flavors in one beautiful dish. Eggs! Cheese! Tomatoes! I couldn't wait to try it!

n.o.e.'s notes:

- I replaced one of the eggs with 1/4 cup of egg substitute.

- I used Trader Joe's shredded parmesan and ran it through the mini food processor.

- For pans I used two ceramic and two glass ramekins. The flans baked in the ceramic ramekins cooked quicker than those in the glass, pulling away from the sides of their dishes. For some reason, though, I decided to serve the ones in the glass for the two of us for dinner. They were runny inside but almost tough on the outside. In contrast, the flans in the ceramic dishes were perfectly cooked through and not tough at all. They even survived gentle reheating in the microwave the next day. If I were to use the glass ramekins again, I'd cook at a lower temperature, and check the done-ness more carefully.


- I plated one of the flans on a bed of arugula, topped with tomatoes and basil (picture below), and the other just with the tomato and ribbons of basil (picture up top).

the verdict:

My husband was not very enthusiastic about these flans. For one thing, he's rarely a fan of egg dishes (he worries about the cholesterol in eggs). Another problem: "when I think of 'flans' I expect something sweet." These were most definitely savory and not at all sweet. I though the flavor of the flan was great, but the basil verged on overpowering the taste of the other ingredients. In the future I might just do the bed of arugula and topping of chopped tomatoes.

My husband's thumbs down vote on the flans just left more for me, and I ate the leftovers happily. A dish that qualifies as healthy, pretty, easy, and tasty is a winner in my book! This would make a great luncheon dish, paired with a soup and some sort of roll or bread.

9 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! I think they look amazing--all of my favorite flavors too!

Audrey said...

There's something very appealing to me about taking a "sweet" recipe and making it savory...these are so pretty and if they're delicious and healthy, too, they're a definite winner!

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a cool and creative recipe! Sounds incredible! Great flavors working together here :)

Madam Chow said...

I'm with you. I would have eaten this in a heart beat. Parmesan makes everything better. As Mario Batali says, "the King of Cheeses!"

NKP said...

They are so pretty and summery. I have never made something like this before.

Kim of stirring the Pot said...

Wow! This dish looks like summertime. I've never made a flan before, I'm inspired now ; )

Anonymous said...

This is something I would love. I love all sorts of egg dishes. And tomatoes and basil.

Kayte said...

LOL on J's opinion. I love the experimentation on the different types of baking vessels. Duly noted. This looks really good...and very pretty!

Jenny said...

So pretty.