Monday, July 13, 2009

Blackberry Sorbet, Part 2, Blackberry Lime

By the time I got around to taking a photo, a few ice crystals had formed on the sorbet's surface.

The thing I love about fruit sorbets is that they are so refreshing, especially on a hot summer day and the tarter the sorbet, the more refreshing it tastes, don't you agree? Once I spied the Blackberry Lime Sorbet in David Lebovitz's indispensable ice cream book, The Perfect Scoop, I couldn't wait to churn it up.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- I made a half batch of this Blackberry Lime and a half of classic Blackberry Sorbet at the same time.

- You can find the recipe on this blogger's post. (The optional tequila she lists is not part of the original recipe.)

- The recipe calls for combining equal amounts of sugar and water to make a syrup. I already had some leftover "simple syrup" (sugar + water boiled in equal amounts) in my fridge, so I used that. It was a little tricky for me to figure out how much would be equivalent to half a recipe's worth, so I just used my best guess. I checked the final blackberry mixture before churning and adjusted the lime juice and syrup to taste.

the verdict:

This sorbet was exactly what I expected: tart and very good. Like blackberry with an exclamation point. My daughter J.D.E. said that it tasted like how she imagined blackberry sorbet would taste (although the other sorbet tasted exactly like blackberries). Sorbet raises expectations of fruity intensity, and this recipe certainly delivers!

9 comments:

Kayte said...

This is so gorgeous...I just love the colors of the two sorbets and I definitely will make both to give a taste test like you did. Very elegant looking with that deep rich color.

Maria said...

What a great way to cool down! Blackberries are my favorite too!

Eliana said...

OK - now I MUST get this book because your sorbet looks amazing.

Engineer Baker said...

Blackberry lime - yowza! I'm a big fan already, just need to find the berries and the time :)

Leslie said...

When I make mango sorbet, I only add simpkle syrup until the flavor of the mangoes is prominent, and then I stop. So much is subjective about taste. As I said on your other post, I'm going to make one of these but I need to decide which one!

Anonymous said...

Blackberry lime sounds delicious. I love lime! I add it to my fruit all the time. YUM.

Cathy said...

Love the vibrant color. I think I would love the hint of lime in this version. Definitely want to try this while the blackberry gettin' is good!

NKP said...

Beautiful! I would love some of that on a hot, sticky day.

Flourchild said...

Yum does that ever look good and refreshing. I miss you around my blog!