Thursday, June 25, 2009

Plum Ice Cream

My cooking and baking activity has been a bit limited of late, with floor-refinishing, painting and other work going on in my kitchen. I've managed to unseal the stove and counters on the weekends, though, so I'm not in total cooking-withdrawal!

I saw some lovely black plums at the store a couple of weeks ago, and turned to David Lebovitz for inspiration. He has a recipe for plum ice cream in his book The Perfect Scoop. I wasn't sure exactly how plums would be in ice cream, but there's only one way to find out, right?

n.o.e.'s notes:

- You can find the recipe here. As far as ice creams go, this one has a minimum of rich ingredients.

- I used black plums for this recipe

- An immersion blender makes quick work of pureeing ice cream bases and there's little to wash up afterwards!

- After pureeing, I strained the mixture to remove most of plum skin.

- I couldn't believe the gorgeous color of this ice cream.

the verdict:

I loved this - so simple, with just a few ingredients. The ice cream is almost almost like sorbet, with its very concentrated tart-ish plum flavor, but the texture has a rich smoothness that betrays the cream in it. I'm savoring this one, doling it out a spoonful at at time! It would be great with Dorie's Dimply Plum Cake (see my posts here and here)!

15 comments:

Kayte said...

Wow, that color is so vibrant! Love the look of that. Need to go there soon. Cute posing it with the paint/stain cans and brush.

The Food Librarian said...

What a great color! That is really amazing.

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that color really is gorgeous! I love plums and peaches, etc, so this is my favorite time of year - so many stone fruits to nibble on!

Jessica said...

It looks and sounds amazing. I love the elephants in the background of your photo! I'm not sure if it's a piece of fabric or a tablecloth or placemat but it's wonderful. I need to try the dimply plum cake. I remember reading all of the rave reviews. I'm pretty excited about the plum brioche coming up for TWD.

Grace Adieu said...

Well, I AM a plum person and was just spending actual free time planning plummy things - but I didn't think of this! I love the Dimply Plum cake, too (with a few tweaks) but I would eat this ice cream with just about anything. I bet it would be great with a berry pie - all kinds of fruit flavors together. An Orchard on a Plate.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a yummy and creative ice cream flavor! I bet it was incredible! Love the color!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful, vibrant ice cream! I'm not the hugest plum fan, but this looks irresistible.

Cathy said...

That is the most beautiful purple ice cream I've ever seen! I have a purple lover in my house, so I'll have to make this for her. This one has just bumped its way to the top of my ice cream list!

Cathy said...

Okay, upon closer inspection, the ice cream isn't really purple after all. More reddish? Still beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I almost made plum ice cream this week, but the plums got eaten. I love the color.

Di said...

That is indeed a gorgeous color. Thanks for the reminder about the dimply plum cake. I need to try it again now that I can get good plums.

Barbara said...

Plums are soooo good. In anything- tarts, cobblers whatever. Never thought to make ice cream. Great idea. Brilliant color!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh yes it would be lovely with Dorie's plum cake, I really loved that one.
Always fun how David's recipes are just right!

Pamela said...

It is gorgeous! That color is fabulous. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Gloria Baker said...

This is amazig!! I love it! Gloria