Monday, June 22, 2009

"Do You Like Pina Coladas" Sherbet?


If you visited my kitchen about 3 weeks ago, you’d have found yourself in a little tropical haven! When I bought the ingredients for a Coconut Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise for Tuesdays With Dorie (come back tomorrow for that post!) I picked up an additional pineapple to make Pina Colada Sherbet, from the David Lebovitz ice cream book: The Perfect Scoop.

n.o.e.’s notes:

- You can find the recipe here.

- This frozen treat gets its creaminess from (Thai) canned coconut milk rather than from dairy or custard.

- The recipe comes together in a snap – cutting the pineapple is the only real work involved. If you are pressed for time, you could use a pre-cored pineapple, but you might want to use 1 ½ of them; there’s a lot less pineapple wasted when you trim your own.

- I added at least double the lime juice.

- Although my dark rum was sitting on the counter, I forgot to add it in.

- This sherbet has an exquisite soft yellow color.

the verdict:

This refreshing sherbet hit the spot with the 4 of us who tasted it! The tropical flavors really come through, in a light, clean way. The coconut was subtle but combined nicely with the fresh pineapple taste. Our daughter was here with her friend G, who took a bite and said, "Oh, man, this is delicious!" And in the most random feedback I’ve ever received, J.D.E. said, “This kind of tastes how tunafish smells.” That didn’t stop her from enjoying her dish of sherbet, luckily.


The rum would have added a completely different dimension, and I would like to try it sometime that way. That’s a vanilla wafer in the picture up top, but the sherbet would have been great with a little of the coconut meringue from tomorrow’s dacquoise....

The whole time we were making and eating this sherbet, we all had this song stuck in our heads:



Honestly, has there ever been a more insipid song?

14 comments:

Teanna said...

Oh no. That song will be stuck in my head forever and ever. All. day. long. The sherbet looks SO good, though!

Anonymous said...

Oh, too bad about the rum. Maybe you can make a rum syrup?

I'm going to have to make this one soon!

Kayte said...

I am NOT clicking on the song as I will be singing it in my head for days. Might happen anyway. The ice cream looks really good and your styling is also very wonderful. Am sure we will love this one when we get to it, too.

Leslie said...

This one grabbed me straight through the screen! I bet the coconut lime shortbread we made a while back would be nice too (although perhaps too much of the same note).

Eliana said...

I needed something to put a smile on my face. Thanks a lot for this post.

Megan said...

AAAHHH! Now I've got that song stuck in my head!

I was flipping through my book this morning, and bookmarked that recipe. I love pina coladas - so I can't wait to try it!

Creative Classroom Core said...

This could very well become my new favourite thing... SO YUMMY SOUNDING!

Unknown said...

This looks so amazing! Bummer you forgot the rum but it gives you an excuse to make it again :) You know, I never knew the lyrics to that song. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Do I like that song? No. Do I know all the words to that song? Yes.

The sherbet sounds great - it's going on my list of "not too fatty frozen desserts to make."

TeaLady said...

That looks soooo yummy!!! Goes on my to make list.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Insipid song yes--but it does get stuck in the head (thanks for that by the way!). I am making ice cream today for sure. This looks wonderful--all my favorite flavors!

Audrey said...

OK, I may have to make this just to explore the tuna fish connection. That's going to puzzle me for a while. It looks wonderful, and I'm glad you had a treat in the midst of all your renos and computer worries!

margot said...

That sherbert looks wonderful and sounds like a great dessert for a hot day. I thought the song would be "Lime in the Coconut!"

Cathy said...

I guess that would be virgin Pina Colada Sherbet. I'm definitely making this (with rum, I hope, but can't guarantee) - it sounds like the perfect summer dessert. I didn't even click on the song but it's still going to be stuck in my head all day. Thanks!