Friday, June 19, 2009

Pim's "15 minute" Fresh Tomato Sauce

No matter how far afield I stray culinarily, I’m always glad to return to the familiar territory of pasta with tomato sauce. There are good jarred tomato sauces to be found, but it’s so satisfying to prepare one from scratch, especially one that promises to be both easy and delicious. I came across 15 Minute Tomato Sauce on the blog Chez Pim and was instantly intrigued. A super-quick sauce made from fresh tomatoes? This is one I just had to try.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- Pim has illustrated her recipe post with step by step photos which is useful and reassuring, even for a simple recipe.

- The first time I made this, I may have let the tomatoes break down a little bit too long – I ended up with a lot of juice and not a lot of pulp. You can see that in the picture below. I was much happier with my sauce the second batch, pictured up top.



the verdict:


I served this sauce over short pasta, alongside grilled hot Italian chicken sausage. There was enough sauce for two dinner-sized servings of pasta, so if you are feeding a (hungry) crowd, you’ll have to increase the recipe accordingly. The sauce was bright and fresh, and I how the nice acidic taste of the tomatoes comes through to the finished sauce.

This recipe is a great choice if you need a fast sauce and you have fresh tomatoes.


If you have less time and/or no fresh tomatoes, you can make Heidi Swanson’s 5 Minute Tomato Sauce with nice quality crushed tomatoes: I made it here.

If you have fresh tomatoes and a bit more time, here’s a great recipe from Delia Smith for Classic Fresh Tomato Sauce, a long-simmered tomato sauce: I posted it early in my blogging days.

And there you have it, a veritable quiver of tomato sauce recipes, fit for any occasion or type of tomatoes!


6 comments:

Audrey said...

It's 8 am and I'm wishing I had a platefull of this right now! I would love to have a quick fresh tomato sauce to extend my (nonexistent) weeknight meal repertoire, especially this time of year. Reading this reminded me of that other quick tomato sauce you made that I had wanted to try, so I appreciate the chance to share in your bevy! :)

Unknown said...

I love it! Sadly, I've only ever made tomato sauce with canned tomatoes. I'm going to have to change that this summer!

test it comm said...

Fresh tomato sauces like this are so good.

TeaLady said...

UUUMMM!!! Looks really good. I am anxiously waiting for the garden to give me some beautiful maters so I can start doing this. Store bought just ain't gonna do it.

Anonymous said...

Yum! It looks great. I've been wanting to try a fresh tomato sauce (I've only made ones using canned whole tomatoes).

nick said...

Absolutely no substitute for fresh tomatoes in preparations like this.

Looks quite yummy (doesn't the 2nd batch ALWAYS look better than the 1st?)