Thursday, February 12, 2009

Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce

This recipe for Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce, sporting just 1/4 cup of cream, stopped me in my in my tracks when I came across it in Cooking Light's 20th Anniversary Issue. Cooking Light featured this recipe to illustrate two basic healthy eating principles:

"All foods have a place in a healthful diet" (ie, cream doesn't need to be a pariah), and

"Embellish convenience products with fresh ones" (fresh basil livens up the canned tomatoes that form the base of this sauce.)

n.o.e.'s notes:

This recipe was straightforward and fairly quick.

The only problem I have with Cooking Light recipes is that the stated portion sizes are pretty small (1 cup of the finished pasta/serving in this case). Depending on whether this will be a main course or a side dish, keep in mind that the recipe calls for just 1/2 pound of pasta, and yields 4 cups.

the verdict:

The recipe is quick and easy, and oh, so delicious! I can't believe I've never tasted this sauce before, but from now on it will have a firm place in the pasta recipe rotation at our house.


I'm submitting this post to the Preso Pasta Night's gala 100th roundup. That's a lot of fantastic pasta, folks. Stop by and browse the roundups - you're guaranteed to find a recipe you just can't live without. Congratulations, Ruth and all of the PPN regulars, for a consistently bringing us all of that delectable pasta week after week!

17 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao Nancy ! This pasta is so fast and good !! I'll have to visit the site too !!Baci

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious, Nancy! We must be cooking on the same wavelength lately because I just bookmarked a penne with vokda sauce from the foodnetwork site to make later this week. After seeing yours I really want to make it, yum!

NKP said...

I love pasta! And vodka..*ahem*.
Sounds like a winner! Cooking Light must be the opposite of Ina in terms of portion control!

Pamela said...

Well, this is one that will definitely have to be moved to the top of its respective "to try" pile! Looks great. I have some awards to share with you!

Ruth Daniels said...

So glad you shared with Presto Pasta Nights. I have these lovely fresh mushroom tortellini that I bought and the vodka cream sauce will be perfect. Hope we didn't drink all the vodka;-)

Cathy said...

I can't wait to make this -- it looks SO good. My hubs tends to prefer cream-based sauces on pasta (as opposed to marinara) so he will definitely enjoy this. This is such a classic pasta dish, and I can't believe I've never tried it. It is probably the only way that I can handle vodka these days.

Oh, and I am so with you on the CL portion sizes -- sometimes I wonder who they are cooking for. Posh? Kate Bosworth?

spike. said...

I'm going to try this one with some of the 9 pounds of penne left in my pantry!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm on such a pasta kick lately! My hips are going to hate me...This looks right up my ally too..

Debbie said...

This is one of my favorite sauces. So good. Yours looks great!

Dewi said...

OMG, this pasta look so scrumptious. I really like vodka cream sauce.
Cheeers,
Elra

Audrey said...

Nancy, now I'm the one nodding in agreement - both because I've been dying to try making this at home and because you are so right about the recipe yields! This looks so so good.

The people at Cook's Illustrated say that you have to use really good vcdka...not to be nosy about what's in your bar cabinet, but did you find that to be true?

Jacque said...

In a word... YUM!!

Mary Ann said...

I have never tried this type of sauce either, but it sounds great and looks even better.
Plus, it is quick.
I can't wait to see what you do with your cranberries!

The Food Hunter said...

I love penne with vodka sauce. this one looks really good.

Di said...

That looks really yummy. I haven't made vodka cream sauce in a while. It may have to go on my menu for next week...

Anonymous said...

Oh I love a healthier pasta recipe. Thanks for posting it. I will try it and soon

Arundathi said...

that looks delicious! have heard so much about vodka cream sauce but have never actually made it. have to try it now.