Friday, February 6, 2009

Herb Salt Roasted Potatoes

Last week I found a bag of fingerling potatoes in my cupboard that just begged to be cooked in a really special way. These potatoes were a mix of colors: white, red and purple (and the purple ones were purple all the way through!) Roasting them seemed the way to go, and I looked to Tyler Florence for help preparing these little babies.

Tyler Florence's recipe for herb salt roasted potatoes gave a slightly different riff on the usual olive oil/rosemary roast potatoes that I make.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- I had all the ingredients on hand - boy do I love it when I don't have to make a special grocery run.

- I used fingerling potatoes. I cut some of them so that the pieces would all be roughly equivalent in size. That way they'd cook evenly.

- Tyler's technique of making a herb salt worked great. I used 1/2 T sage for 1/2 T of the rosemary. My husband seems to developing a 'thing' about rosemary, so I'm trying to camouflage it. Besides, isn't every savory dish improved by adding sage? (hmm, or bacon?)

the verdict:

These are very good roast potatoes. I'll be using this recipe as my stand-by from now on, improvising if necessary to reflect the herbs I have on hand.

I'm submitting this recipe to Tyler Florence Fridays. The cooks in this group prepare a mouthwatering variety of Tyler's recipes each week, so click on over to this week's roundup to see what everyone's cooked up this time!

24 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Those look really good. And I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. ;-)

Cathy said...

Wow, those potatoes are beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen herbed salt before -- cool technique to combine the salt & herbs in the food processor. This looks like a really great way to prepare potatoes.

Rachel said...

they look delicious--and the purple potatoes are so pretty!

Michelle said...

OH MY...the potatoes looks so good. Tyler has such a nice variety of recipes and so many side dishes to choose from. The Herb Salt Potatoes are definitely a "must try" recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love purple potatoes. They have lots of antioxidants. And they make potato dishes look pretty.

Anonymous said...

Your potatoes are so pretty. They look delicious. I think bacon makes everything better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I love your 2 furry girls, too! :)

And our general eating styles might be different, but I'd be very happy with a HUGE serving of those potaotes!

Karen said...

I love potatoes that have been roasted and they'd be even better with the herbs in there!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge potato lover. The herb salt sounds really good!

Megan said...

I really think bacon would have been an outstanding addition :)

NKP said...

I know that if you deem it your new go-to dish, that it has to be good!
Love the cute little purple spuds!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love roasted potatoes and the roasting in herb salt sounds delicious!

Donna-FFW said...

OOOHHH!! A new go-to recipe, love to have them for potatoes!!! These look awesome!

natalia said...

Ciao Nancy, I love your coloured potatoes ! Do they taste different ? I'm joining Tyler's group too !!

Sara said...

These look so good, I love fingerling potatoes, especially when they're roasted. Do the purple potatoes taste any different?

Anonymous said...

it's the best when you don't have to run out to the store. these potatoes sound good, love the purple ones!

Pamela said...

Looks great! You know, I don't believe I've ever even tried fingerling potatos! What a shame, right? Gotta remedy that and soon.

pam said...

I've just added this to my list to try!

Katrina said...

Great lookin' taters! Love the purple ones!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, those do look good! and simple too... gotta love that.

Pam said...

You can't beat roasted potatoes. They look delicious.

NKP said...

In answer to your question - I use a Canadian brand of puff pastry - not a lot of choice here but it is a good one.
I am sure P.F. is a good one too - just use your favourite - and check for real butter, always a plus when baking!

TeaLady said...

Every once in a while I find fingerlings and usually don't know what to do with them even tho I HAVE to buy them. Will try this, they look fantastic.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

These LOOK wonderful - I'm so glad that they taste as lovely as well.