When we baked scones in Berlin, my daughter J.D.E. wondered, "how would these taste made with eggnog?" Eureka! We had a plan for Christmas morning breakfast. The scones couldn't have been easier to throw together. And they were delicious, accompanied by scrambled eggs with Benton bacon lardons!
2 c. all purpose flour (I used 2/3 c. white whole wheat, and 1 1/3 c. all purpose)
1/8 cup plus 1 T sugar (I used golden bakers sugar)
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
generous pinch of fresh grated nutmeg (depending on how spiced your eggnog is)
1 1/4 c purchased eggnog
To brush on top:
1 T melted butter
1 T sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
3. Add eggnog and stir just until dough forms.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together, adding a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.
5. Form dough into flat round disk, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges.
6. Transfer wedges to baking sheet lined with silicone mat or parchment. Brush wedges with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake until light golden brown, about 12 minutes (?)
8. Transfer to rack and cool slightly. Enjoy!