Thursday, December 11, 2008

Green Beans with Shallots and Clementine Zest


I came across several tempting green bean recipes as I did my Thanksgiving menu planning. This recipe for Green Beans with Shallots and Clementines proved to be the most appealing to my daughter A.L.E., who had the final choice, and who prepared the dish.

cook's notes:

- You can find the recipe here.

- The recipe is fast and easy, which is a boon on Thanksgiving, or indeed, any day I'm cooking dinner! A really organized cook could prepare and blanch the beans in advance and just saute them at serving time.

- We had some fabulous fresh green onions from the farm box, so we substituted them for the shallots. (The beans were from the box also!)

- We used Satsuma clementines. They were pretty soft and difficult to zest, but tasty.

the verdict:

These beans were delicious - crisp and green with a great fresh flavor from the zest and the scallions. They were just the right clean note on the Thanksgiving plate and would be equally at home with many other main courses. I'll make these again!

8 comments:

Cathy said...

It seems like I make a different green bean recipe every year, because I still haven't found "The One." This one looks really fabulous -- it seems like it has serious potential. AndI always think of orange as a great holiday flavor, so I'm going to bookmark this for Christmas dinner!

Jessica said...

I am always looking for a green bean recipe and I am definitely going to try this one. I love the idea of the orange zest and the shallots together with the green beans, sounds yummy!

Audrey said...

So will I! (well not again, technically, but sometime!) A nice combination of flavors, I'm sure. see you soon...

Maria said...

I love green beans! I am sure the shallots and clementine zest really make these beans shine!

The Blonde Duck said...

Hooray! I can always use a new veggie recipe!

natalia said...

Next time I find green beans I'll try this recipe: it smells so nice !!

NKP said...

Those look really tssty. Oh, how I wish they had CSA boxes here in my town. I feel like I am missing out!
And your little cookie cutter men below - so very cute!

Melissa said...

I love green beans and this dish looks really super. This is something my whole family would probably eat - thanks!!