Thursday, December 4, 2008

{T-giving} Spiced Cranberry Sauce

Maybe it's my Massachusetts roots, but I really love cranberries. Cranberry juice, cranberry bread, and cranberry sauce. My usual recipe is made with cranberries, apples, celery, and plenty of cinnamon. I've always preferred it to the standard cranberry-orange, but it can be a bit sweet. So when I saw Carol Peterman's recipe for Spiced Cranberry Sauce on her blog (which, btw, is filled with wonderful food and helpful information), I immediately put it on the Thanksgiving menu.

cook's notes:

- The recipe comes together very easily.

- I ground my own allspice and cloves (with an electric coffee grinder that has become a dedicated spice grinder)

- Juicing the ginger in a garlic press was very cool.


the verdict:

This is good, good, good! I love how the ginger and vinegar cut the sweetness. It was good and spicy and filled with cranberry flavor. Thanks, Carol, for the fabulous recipe!

3 comments:

NKP said...

I am always looking for ways to spice up the cranberry sauce. It is one of the dishes the boys don't eat anyway (teens) so I have some room to play.
I love the thought of ginger and star anise - the vinegar is really innovative too.

Cathy said...

This looks great! I love how Carol makes a reference to the can ridges in canned cranberry sauce -- this is a perennial joke in our house. We have to be sure to have some of the can ridge kind for David's dad. I love all of the spices in this recipe! I bet they make this very festive and seasonal (just in case that cranberries aren't inherently festive and seasonal). I'm definitely going to try this one!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I am so glad you liked my cranberry sauce! Your photos are fantastic and looking at them makes me want to whip up another batch with the cranberries I was planning to use in muffins.