Tuesday, August 26, 2008

{TWD} Chocolate-Banded Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Torte


{UPDATE: I packed this with ice packs in a cooler and brought it to an impromptu family gathering this evening. It stayed solidly frozen and sliced beautifully (see picture above, although the Bailey's layer was a bit softer than everything else). The relatives loved the torte - gave it a "10" rating. They patiently waited while I photographed the slices. I felt like such a dork! My brother-in-law told me I needed some mint for garnish and he went into the garden and cut me some! The best part: I got to leave the leftovers in their freezer for them to finish.}


For this week's Tuesdays With Dorie challenge Amy of Food, Family and Fun chose: Chocolate-Banded Ice Cream Torte on pages 288-289 of Dorie Greenspan's book Baking From My Home to Yours. You can also find the recipe in Amy's post of her beautiful version of this torte.

I love the way this torte looks in Dorie's book, and I immediately started to think of wonderful flavor combinations. Coffee ice cream is my favorite, and it would go beautifully with the chocolate ganache. yummmm.

But then I realized that while I was heading into a bunch of entertaining, none of the events lent themselves to this dessert. I gave serious consideration to sitting this one out (after doing the first 5 challenges that have come up since I joined). But the coffee/chocolate combination was calling to me, so I made the torte, and will keep it in the freezer until "needed"!


I really wanted to do two different flavors of ice cream - one for each of the layers, so I picked up a pint of Haagen-Dazs Bailey's and a pint of Haagen-Dazs Coffee. And some Heath Bits 'O Brickle Toffee Bits for the very top.

The ganache wasn't difficult; melt the chocolate and butter, whisk in sugar, then add a bunch of eggs (pasteurized):


It tasted good, but I kept thinking of the 14 T. butter and the eight eggs. Yipes!

I decided to make the torte in a rectangular pan, so I did some volume calculations and decided that my trusty slim loaf pans would hold about as much as an 8" springform (which I don't own). This loaf shape will be easier to store in my freezer, and I thought the slices would look good. I oiled the pan and lined it with parchment paper to help with the eventual un-molding.


I softened the ice cream in their containers in the fridge, and stirred with a wooden spoon until it was spreading consistency. The coffee ice cream:


My ganache measured just over 750ml (3+ cups), so I used 250ml for each of the three chocolate layers. When I added the ganache it seemed to melt the ice cream under it, and the ice cream seeped up around the sides a bit. I tried to get the layers smooth so the slices would show even layers.


There was just enough room in the loaf pan for the final ganache layer!


The Verdict:

I wanted my two different flavors of ice cream to look different in the torte, but unfortunately the coffee ice cream and the Bailey's ice cream were the same color.

I missed the part about freezing the torte for at least 6 hours, so I unmolded it and tried to cut it too soon :( Even with a warm knife, the ice cream squished out the sides under the pressure from the knife. It's back in the freezer now, and I'm going to see if it will harden correctly. However, I can report that the flavor is wonderful: chocolate + coffee + Bailey's + Heath = sophisticated mocha delicousness punctuated with crunchy toffee.

Yum!!!

I might be bringing this to a family gathering Tuesday evening (not sure if it can travel the 15 minute drive without melting too much) and will report back on how people liked it.

40 comments:

kimberly salem said...

yum!!! delicious flavor choices :) great job!

Jessie said...

I did coffee and toffee too! Great minds think alike ;)

Matt said...

Brilliant ideas! I love the addition of some crunch on the top. I searched in vain for white chocolate covered espresso beans as a simple garnish. I love the idea of the crunch in your topping even better.

ostwestwind said...

I like your flavours, great work!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Great flovors! I love coffee and chocolate!

Marie Rayner said...

It sounds fabulous!!! Great choice of flavours. That's what I like about Dorie's recipes. You can really play with them and make them your own!

Cristine said...

Your torte looks wonderful! I love the shape! Great job!

Prudy said...

Oh yours looks soo good. I did one of mine in a loaf pan but I didn't line it like you did you smart woman. I wish I could have some of yours.

hoagiefest 2020 said...

I like the loaf shape a lot more than the cake shape, and I love the idea of multiple ice cream flavors. Since this was a pretty low-maintenance recipe, I may have to try it again with your ideas.

Anne said...

I'm sure they'll love it- it looks amazing!

Marthe said...

Your torte looks delicious!!

Melissa said...

Wow, those flavors sound so delicious. And it looks beautiful with the toffee pieces on top. I hope you have an occasion to eat it soon!

April said...

I was *this* close to trying to convince my husband that we should get the Bailey's ice cream instead of strawberry. I can't imagine how delicious yours was! It looks great.

chocolatechic said...

Hey! We did the same flavors.

I froze mine over night, and it stillllll squished up.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! this is the favorite adaptation of the recipe i've seen so far. chocolate + coffee + toffee? i also love that you did this in a loaf pan. :)

Cathy said...

Ahhh -- measuring!! That's how you get even layers!! Your torte looks amazing beyond words. I love your flavor combos. I think I am going to try this in a loaf pan next time (although, then my new 8" springform pan would have nothing to do!)

Judy said...

We are kindred spirits! I thought about doing this with coffee ice cream too - I adore coffee ice cream. What's your favorite brand? I think the best is Starbucks lowfate Latte.

TeaLady said...

Great job. Love the rectangle shape. Much easier to slice. Yummy!

Debbie said...

Your's look so good. Invite me over!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Judy, I love the Starbucks low fat also. The day I bought ice cream for this recipe I just went to the corner grocery store and the only coffee ice cream they had in pints was the Haagen-Dazs, so that's what I bought. I was pretty pressed for time this week.
Nancy

Karleen said...

I love the shape of your torte and the flavors you used sound delish!

Peggy said...

I really like the loaf shape. Wish I had thought of that. And toffee is my favorite.

NKP said...

Ok, this has to be the best flavour combo I have seen so far.
Coffee and Baileys and toffee!!!
Wonderful.

Teanna DiMicco said...

You picked my two favorite flavors! I wanted to do the Bailey's kind as well! That looks GORGEOUS and I love the toffee bits!

Flourchild said...

Great choices of ice cream. Your torte looks very good.

Unknown said...

That flavor combination looks incredible. Yum!

spike. said...

Coffee ice cream is the best!

Maria said...

So glad you used toffee it is my absolute favorite! Looks so good!

Mary Ann said...

It looks great and the flavors sound amazing! I like the rectangular shape.

Jules Someone said...

It looks like you did pretty much everything right. Nice job!

Erin said...

This looks great! The toffee ice cream sounds fabulous!

Di said...

I love the rectangular shape. And the idea of using more than one flavor. Awesome job!

Bria said...

Wonderful! I was thinking next time I would make the ice cream torte in a loaf pan. I love the look of the topping too! I've always wondered what a Heath bar is because in the Magnolia cookbook I have, she uses them a lot.

Anonymous said...

Oy vey, yours sounds delicious. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

i think you picked all the sweets that I love and put them in one ice cream torte. yummy!!! :)

Nicole said...

Yours look so good! I love the flavors you chose.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I have made notes in my book: assemble in bread pan, and use two different ice creams. I think the rectangle makes a much better presentation and two different ice creams - awesome!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I have made notes in my book: assemble in bread pan, and use two different ice creams. I think the rectangle makes a much better presentation and two different ice creams - awesome!

Jaime said...

mmmm great flavor ideas! i guess i'm late to comment but my tortes did fine on the 15 min drive to work :) i also packed mine w/cold packs in an insulated bag.

the slices look beautiful!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

I love the rectangular shape and your flavor choices sound devine. I have a ton of toffee chips I need to make use of. Hmmmm. Thanks for the great ideas!