Friday, January 9, 2009

TFF: Salt and Pepper Salmon

I'm almost embarrassed to post about this recipe for Salt and Pepper Salmon because it is dead easy, and took me 10 minutes start to finish. But I was thrilled to learn the technique, and the results, well, just read on!

cook's notes:

- If you have salmon, you have the ingredients you need for this recipe (salmon, salt, pepper, olive oil, and butter). I did an internet search for "Tyler Florence" and "salmon" and minutes later I was on my way. The most complicated thing was pulling out a few pinbones (well, OK, a lot of them).

- I used some wild-caught previously-frozen sockeye salmon.

- Tyler seems really big on getting the skin nice and crispy. None of us actually ate the skin, but it certainly scored high on the crisp-o-meter.

the verdict:

The three of us loved this fish and finished every morsel; not much left for the poor doggies. The salmon was beautiful in presentation and delicious in flavor. The oil and butter paired nicely and who knew salt and pepper could be the perfect way to season salmon?

This recipe is most definitely a keeper!

I've got to extol the virtues of Tyler Florence Fridays! It is the easiest cooking group ever - members each get to choose a recipe and can participate each week or not. We can even post on any day we choose - the TFF roundup is posted each Friday and if you've posted that week you're included. How cool is that? Very cool, I say, especially since Tyler Florence's recipes are scrumptious!

12 comments:

NKP said...

That does look delish! I love salmon, and an easy weeknight dinner? - perfect!

Megan said...

What could be better than a quick, delicious dinner? Nothing!

So glad you've decided to play along, we are all enjoying the freedom of our little group!

Cathy said...

Love this one, Nancy! So perfect for the weeknights. I bet this technique would be great with other fish, too. Cooking more fish is one of my nutritional new year's resolutions (and should be one of the easiest of my resolutions to keep, because if I cook any fish this year, I will have cooked more fish than I did last year). Fish is like yeast bread for me -- I've generally left it to the pros up until this point. I think I need to drop one of my other groups and pick up TFF instead -- just can't resist that uber laidback-ness.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I eat a lot of salmon and I love how simple this is. It is amazing what a few great ingredients can do isn't it?! Great pick--I will be trying this one!

pam said...

This is my kind of Tyler recipe!

Karen said...

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best! I could eat salmon 100 different ways (as long as it's not overcooked!) and this would be one of them.

Reeni said...

How easy and delicious! I am loving TFF too!

Mom24 said...

We're having Salmon tomorrow night, I think I'll have to try this. Thanks.

Mary Coleman said...

We have a dog that cooks with us as well. Love your blog. We did this salmon tonight and it was divine!
Glad to have found you.
Mary

Cathy said...

Nancy, thanks for the heads up on the Blitz Bread -- I'm looking forward to your post; it sounds great! I am so loving that KA blog. I haven't baked anything from it yet, of course -- baby steps. But those step-by-step pictures are my dream come true -- the next best thing to having one of the blog authors come observe me for a week and tell me why I kill yeast. I actually haven't looked at Whole Foods for SAF; I always forget when I am there. If I can find some, I'd like to try the English Muffin bread this week. The pressure will really be on though, because I will no longer be able to blame it all on Fleishmann's if it flops!

CM said...

Aw, you didn't eat the skin?
I'm a huge fan of fish skin, although I should mention I am converted, as I used to loath it and push it to the side of my plate. One day I realized that it was some sort of learned habit- I had never actually tried it before, so I gave it a whirl. If the salmon is good quality and it's been scaled properly the skin is my favorite part, after the belly and the face of course :)
Also, just salt and pepper is one of my favorite ways to eat salmon, though I also love a maple glaze or wrapping it in speck before searing it.

Katrina said...

Well, darn it all, now I want more salmon! Looks de-lish!