Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lucky New Year!

If you are in Germany or Austria in the days leading up to January 1, you will see images and figures of chimney sweeps, mushrooms, ladybugs, four leaf clovers, horseshoes, frogs, but most of all, PIGS! Cute little pigs are everywhere! These all symbolize good luck for the new year. You can find all of these lucky shapes in plastic, wood, or paper, but our favorite form is marzipan.

The pictures above are the marzipan pigs I brought home this year for my girls. And I made sure to buy some lucky cookie cutters:

Those red hots are in your honor, Cathy!
If you have a pig cookie cutter (or clovers, mushrooms, horseshoes, etc.) you can make wonderful New Year's lucky cookies with any leftover dough you might just happen to have from Christmas cookies!

I think a little luck would be a good thing for 2009!

some plastic lucky pigs from previous years

12 comments:

Reeni said...

All of those little piggies are so cute! Happy New Year!

natalia said...

I wish we all had loads of pigs !!At least as cookies !!

Debbie said...

HAPPY (and lucky) NEW YEAR TO YOU!!!

Di said...

Those pigs are completely adorable. Happy New Year!

Marthe said...

Love the piglets!!
Happy New Year!

Steph said...

Happy new year Nancy!!

Big Boys Oven said...

marzipan figurines look so beautiful!

Jacque said...

Those are adorable! What a fun treat for your girls.

I actually have a *flying* pig cookie cutter, lol. My area, Cincinnati, was once known as porkopolis... for it's huge pork packing industry. There are lots of references to flying pigs around here. So I'm with 'ya on the whole pig thang!

Anyway, Happy New Year to you.

Jamie said...

Those pigs are too darn cute!!! Happy New Year!!!!

Cathy said...

Nancy, are you telling me that I've been choking down black eyed peas every New Year's Day for the ten years I've lived in Alabama, all because I take good luck very seriously, when all along I could have been eating pig cookies with red hots?

Anonymous said...

Love the pigs!
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

The pigs are too cute. I would be torn between wanting to save them and wanting to bite into their little marzipan behinds!