Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pecan Biscuits


Whew! After all the chocolate desserts that have appeared on the blog lately, I'm relieved to post a recipe for biscuits - basic, easy, breakfast-friendly, and not chocolate!  This is the next recipe in my project to finish all the recipes in Dorie Greenspan's book Baking From My Home to Yours, is Sour Cream Pecan Biscuits.  This recipe was the assignment for the original Tuesdays With Dorie group four years ago today.

n.o.e.'s notes:

-  You can find the recipe on the post of the original host blog, Ashley of Eat Me, Delicious, here.

-  Dorie's biscuits are simple enough to put together.  Although you never want to overwork biscuit dough, I didn't mix the dough quite enough; it was crumbly, and floury, which you can see in the finished product.

-  I used 3" cutters and gently patted the scraps together and cut them again.

-  I baked up half the recipe and froze the other half for a future biscuit occasion.

-  My biscuits didn't rise very high as they baked; they turned out like hockey pucks in shape - the top one pictured above is the only one that had any significant rise.

the verdict:

Although I was a little disappointed in the appearance of my biscuits, that was fleeting.  Once I tasted them - warm with salted butter - I didn't really care about their (lack of good) looks.  I loved the taste of these, a touch sweet and with appealing crunch from the nuts. 

5 comments:

Di said...

I'm really enjoying reading about the recipes that you're going back to. It's reminding me of how many recipes I loved early on that I've never gone back to make again. I've got to find a way to sneak some of them into the rotation. =)

Leslie said...

I'm glad the flavor didn't disappoint (and enjoying them with a dab of butter is the very best). I sometimes don't knead mine enough and know it as soon as I open the oven door.

Wendy (pinkstripes) said...

I don't remember these rising very much when I baked them too. I remember them being tasty though!

Kayte said...

I can't make a decent biscuit to save my life. Yours looks wonderful to me...anything that rises at all looks wonderful to me! And the flavors sound really good. Maybe I should give them a go...they were made before I joined and I don't think I used them as a rewind ever...maybe so as they sound and look really good right now.

TeaLady said...

I remember these and they WERE delicious. Glad you made them.