Tuesday, February 15, 2011

{TWD} Chocolate Oat Drop Cookies


I didn't bake many cookies during the Christmas season this year, so I was left with a surplus of cookie-baking energy. When the February recipes were announced for the Tuesdays With Dorie baking group, I baked the Chocolate Oat Drops right away; the combination of chocolate and oats in a cookie sounded like it would be a winning combination.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- Caroline and Claire of Bake With Us chose the recipe this week; if you want to bake these cookies, click over to their post for the recipe, or find it on page 75 of Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking, From My Home to Yours.

- I made half a recipe, which produced 24 cookies.

- I used a combination of 54% chocolate and 72% chocolate.

- The first baking sheet of these cookies stayed mounded as they baked. Halfway through, when I rotated the baking sheet, I flattened them with a spatula. For the next baking sheet, I flattened them before I put them in the oven.

- My oats were Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.

the verdict:

The cookies were cakey and soft and a bit crumbly, yet at the same time improbably, they were chewy. The flavor of cocoa came through like it would in a brownie.

I served the cookies at my book group meeting, and here's the report: nobody complained, they seemed happy to have some chocolate cookies, and I didn't have any trouble giving away the leftovers, but there were no rave reviews, either.

All in all, they were very pleasant chocolate cookies, although ultimately, when I want brownie flavor, I'd just as soon have a brownie.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I love your pictures, they look great. I also cut the recipe in half, but forgot to use only 1 egg. They still turned about well and may have even stayed together better because of it!? Thanks for baking with us this week!

Flourchild said...

Everyone seemed to like them at my house,, but like you said no rave reviews but no complaints! They were easy to make and I love anything with oatmeal, but Im with you ..brownies sound better!

cocoa and coconut said...

I didn't make an excess of Christmas cookies either. The only cookies I do make are ones that contain oats - or ocassionally chocolate chip ones. This recipe takes the best of both worlds! The brownie like texture sounds great.

TeaLady said...

I actually didn't like these when I frst tasted them just out of the oven, but when they cooled they were much better. Still didn't LOVE them;, but I will make them again, and maybe add other goodies in like coconut, or nuts.