Tuesday, December 21, 2010

{TWD} Cardamom Crumb Cake


With all of the Christmas cookie and special occasion dessert baking going on at this time of year, I'll have to say that a breakfast-appropriate cake - one that Dorie Greenspan describes as "not too sweet" - was a very welcome Tuesdays With Dorie baking assignment this week. The Cardamom Crumb Cake contains the flavors, cardamom, orange zest, and coffee. I had a hard time imagining how those tastes could possibly combine, so I just had to bake it the way Dorie wrote it to see how it turned out.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- We can thank Jill of Jill's Blog for choosing the crumb cake this week. For the recipe, check out her blog post.

- I made half a recipe in a medium loaf pan, saving a few spoonfuls of batter for a tiny loaf.

- The only variation I made was to add a pinch of salt and a tiny bit of additional sugar to the crumb topping.


the verdict:

This is definitely not a run-of-the-mill crumb cake. Dorie says it's "exotic" and I couldn't agree with her more. It took me three bites to decide what I thought about the cake, then I loved it! The individual flavors combined in a mysterious yet appealing way and it had a pleasing crunch from the walnuts and the browned edges.

Here are reactions from family members:

My daughter JDE: "I'd eat it again. The salt in the topping is compelling"

My daughter ALE: "I'm tired of regular coffee cakes that are so sweet and not nuanced. This is definitely a cool coffee cake, very challenging, with surprises all along the way, and deeper layers of flavor. Ooh, now I taste the coffee."

My husband: "I like it. Please make more."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, thank you for baking with me during this busy month. I'm thrilled that your whole family liked the cake! I love the "mysterious yet appealing" description.

Happy holidays!

Mary said...

I love the reactions from all the family members. Have a wonderful christmas :).

Unknown said...

Haha, I love the reactions. Your husband's reaction sounds exactly like something Shane would say when I ask him for an opinion. I'm saving this one for the rewind next week, just too much going on here to get it done right now.

Engineer Baker said...

Surprisingly, it took J only one bite to decide that it was wonderful - and he doesn't even like coffee! I made half, same as you, and it ended up being a wonderful Christmas gift to a friend. So exotic, but still approachable.

TeaLady said...

How succinct was Hub's opinion compared to the girls. Love it. And loved this cake. I like that you made this in a small loaf pan. Slices instead of pieces.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

How old are your kids? It is so funny that we are raising little foodies! :) Glad you liked this and your husband wanted more!

Kayte said...

High praise indeed from people I trust...might have to go back and make this sometime. I had just made MB crumb cake and we were not sure we wanted another so soon. Yours looks great and sounds great, too.

Nancy said...

You have a way of making me want to try every single recipe you post. The pictures, the words, everything sounds so wonderful that I must try it for myself to see!! Thanks for the richness to add to my everyday blog reading! Merry Christmas!