Tuesday, September 28, 2010

{TWD} Tarte Fine


This hostess for the Tuesdays With Dorie baking group is Leslie of Lethally Delicious. Leslie and I began baking with the group two summers ago, just a couple of weeks apart. I think all of us TWD bakers joined the group for the experience of baking from Dorie Greenspan's exceptional book. What we found, however, was a group of supportive, like-minded people, each baking in his or her own kitchen in locations all over the world. Leslie and I became baking buddies, and over the course of many months we have gotten to know each other's strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. We both travel a fair amount; London is my destination of choice, Paris is hers.

When I saw Leslie's pick for this week, I was amazed at how perfect it was: quintessentially French (of course), elegant in appearance and taste, but so, so easy to prepare that it wouldn't present a burden on us. Quite considerate of Leslie, wouldn't you say? So typical of her generous spirit!

Despite the simplicity of this recipe, and the puff pastry at the ready in my freezer, I had a very busy week and a surprisingly difficult time fitting this recipe into my time. Luckily for me, my older daughter, ALE , was visiting home and offered to bake the tarte. I jumped at the opportunity.

notes:

- You can find the recipe, along with some very helpful tips, on Leslie's blog post:

- The base of this tart is purchased puff pastry (or homemade for those accomplished/ambitious bakers). We used Dufour, an all butter puff pastry that Dorie recommends.

- My daughter baked the tart (1/2 recipe) after dinner last night; it made for a perfect midnight snack for us and a wonderful breakfast for my husband this morning. We baked a second one this evening to enjoy while writing this post.

- The first tart used apples from the farm box; nice and tart, just the way I like them. ALE sliced them with a mandoline, producing lovely thin slices. She skipped the jam glaze, because as much as we love jam, it's not a favorite on pastries. On the top ALE sprinkled some Sugar in the Raw before baking.

- The second tart used Pink Lady apples, which my daughter left unpeeled. This time she sliced the apples by hand, demonstrating that her knife skills are better than the mandoline! We tossed the apples with grated fresh ginger along with some lemon juice. After brushing the apples with an egg-white wash (egg whites are threatening to take over my fridge) we sprinkled them with some dark muscovado sugar.



the verdict:

The Tarte Fine is might fine (sorry, couldn't resist!) No, seriously, this is a wonderful recipe to have in the deceptively-simple-but-still-elegant archive. We liked both versions of the tarte. I will not hesitate to serve this one to dinner guests (as well as family, time and again). Thanks, Leslie, for a fabulous pick.

15 comments:

Leslie said...

Nancy, as usual you are far too kind! The simplicity of your choice truly influenced me when I chose mine, so I'm glad you preceded me into the group. How great that you had help in the kitchen as I know your week has been extremely busy. I love the version with the apples that weren't peeled, especially since you added ginger. Thanks for baking with me (a family bake!) this week.

xo Leslie

Tia said...

nice! i like the ones with the skins on them. great job - looks so delicate!!! I did a caramel apple cake instead - puff pastry procrastination :(

Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

cocoa and coconut said...

I'm sure that this is mighty fine, as you say! I can only echo everything you say in your post: tarts are fantasticly French, elegant looking and not too hard to make. You're so right!! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Audrey said...

I've seen guest bloggers, but a guest baker is even better! Wonderful job...I might even make this tomorrow for the thank-goodness-you're-home dinner chez my sister1

Di said...

Both versions look delicious. I like the ideas of adding ginger and not peeling the apples. I thought about using turbinado sugar on top of mine; after seeing yours I'll definitely have to do that next time.

Jessica said...

I don't get to travel near as often as you and Leslie do, but I definitely side with London over Paris (though they're both great cities, right?).
Both versions look tasty, but I think the pink lady version is particularly pretty. How fun to have your daughter home and baking with you!

Cathy said...

Yes, yay for Leslie, and yay for A.L.E. for baking these tartes. Elegant desserts can be difficult and time consuming, but the Tarte Fine proves that they don't have to be. Both of your tarts look perfect -- nice idea to add some ginger!

Unknown said...

love your variations! it looks awesome!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

easy to make, and even easier if you can get someone else to make it for you! looks great (your daughter inherited your baking genes)!

AmyRuth said...

I echo your sentiments regarding the many relationships generated through this baking group. I've watched many of you share your baking along times, chatting all the while. Pretty neat. The tart is such a nice and super simple treat. Impressive to the naked eye wouldn't you say? :") I enjoyed eating and making the Tarte Fine. Its so nice how your family enjoys the entire process as well as the eating of very good food in your house.
AmyRuth

mike said...

So behind on commenting - and so sorry! Another Dufour.... [darn!]. Would love to try that. We only have surplus Pepperidge Farm up here! Love the pink ladies - just saw those at the market! An a mandoline - genius. It WAS a great, easy and delicious dessert wasn't it? Glad it was a hit!

natalia said...

Ciao Nancy ! I love the unpeeled slices ! Very prettY !

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmm. Looks delicious!

Kayte said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know, I am a tad behind here, but hoping to make it for the guys when they return tomorrow from Denver. They love apple anything, so no doubts that this will be a hit here. Yours looks great...or rather ALE's looks great. Hmmmm...now debating on that glaze thing. We shall see.

Unknown said...

Weren't you lucky to have such a skilled pastry sous-chef visiting! Both tarts look wonderful.