Friday, October 2, 2009

Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata


A while ago my farm box offered local organic beef short ribs. They sounded great to me, so I ordered a bunch, and froze them for when cooler weather arrived. Now that we're in Fall, I took some rainy weather as a great excuse to cook up the ribs (and clear a bunch of space in the freezer!)

I knew that Tyler Florence would be a great resource for cooking the ribs. After a bit of digging around, I decided to make his Osso Bucco recipe, substituting my short ribs for the veal shank.


n.o.e.'s notes:

- The osso bucco recipe made the perfect amount of sauce for cooking 7 lb of short ribs.

- I used a 4.5-5 qt stock pot, which was a great size for a single recipe of the osso bucco

- I didn't have any amarone, so just used a decent cabernet blend.

- The gremolata sounded a little odd - a mixture of pine nuts, dried cranberries, organge zest, garlic and parsley - but I mixed it up anyway to see how it would taste with the ribs


the verdict:

This was fantastic! The ribs were falling-off-the-bone tender and we loved the layers of flavor in the sauce. If you make this, do not skip the gremolata! It has a nice balance of sweet and savory ingredients and its freshness is the perfect complement to the warm richness of the sauce. Overall, these ribs tasted like more work than they really were. The modest investment of time in babysitting the pot paid off big dividends in the finished dish.

I'm sending this post to Tyler Florence Fridays, a weekly roundup of blog posts featuring Tyler's recipes. The group is in its final month, so check the site for a few more weeks of deliciousness.

9 comments:

NKP said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! Perfect for this cooler weather.

Audrey said...

That looks so good! I've never had short ribs, or osso bucco, but whenever I see a recipe for them I think "I should try that!" And I love the sound of the gremolata! I've been tossing a few dried cranberries in my salads lately...not a very original idea, but I like them there.

Eliana said...

This looks fantastic Nancy. All that's missing is some mashed potatos to soak up all that juice.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love osso bucco so this looks incredible--great idea to use it with the ribs.

natalia said...

Mamma mia Nancy ! This is really a wonderful dinner ! I can smell its perfume from here !!

AmyRuth said...

Umm yumm Nancy. I love those types of dishes for fall and winter. Love looking forward to cooking them although I kind of worry about the fat content. Do you think its high? Duh I guess you just have to adjust for that to enjoy it huh? Wish I had some right now. Making me hungry.
AmyRuth

Kayte said...

Yep, it's fall and that looks like just the thing to welcome it home! I would never think of skipping the gremolata, just so you know.

Jenny said...

Sounds amazing!

Unknown said...

I love short ribs but I don't have many recipes bookmarked to try. In fact, I think I've only made them once before. This dish looks fantastic - thanks for sharing!