Friday, May 1, 2009
April m.o.m - Jammy Almond Muffins
When the time for April's muffin-of-the-month (m.o.m.) for my mom rolled around, I decided to ditch my plan for carrot muffins because, and I'm not proud to admit this, even though they sounded delicious I'd just blogged a carrot cake and I wanted something different to post about. So I poked around in all my bookmarks and found a recipe in the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook for Big Beautiful Muffins. This is a base recipe that can be adapted to a variety of delicious muffins. I was so enamored of the sound of the almond-jam type that I increased the recipe and made 18 muffins.
- I made a few adaptations to boost the health profile and suit our tastes. Most are things I've subbed for years. You can find the recipe here; the ingredients I used for my 1.5 recipe are down a the bottom of this post.
- I had nearly finished combining the ingredients when I realized that I'd forgotten to add the sugar, so had to fold it in with the butter. I tried to have a light hand in my folding but it seems that I may have overmixed and undermixed at the same time.
- When I tasted the batter it was a little fizzy, which was a new one on me. Clearly the leavening was busy working.
- The muffins overflowed and spread in the oven. There was definitely something wrong with the way these were turning out.
I 'm not really sure what went wrong with these muffins. Except complacency. The whole time I was baking them I was thinking: "Oh, muffins. SOOO easy. How simple this is to throw together. How clever I am to have given mom 'Muffin of the Month' for Christmas and not something like 'Laminated Dough of the Month', or 'Sourdough Bread of the Month.'" Self-congratulation always comes right back to haunt me.
Anyway these ended up spreading in the oven like crazy and taking on the sturdy texture of a kitchen sponge. A problem with the leavening, or maybe overmixing? Or both? I have no idea.
I baked these the same weekend I baked the Granola Breakfast Cookies; neither recipe turned out. One rose too much and the other didn't rise enough. So discouraging!
OK, so much for the disastrous texture; let's move on to flavor, shall we? The muffins were pleasantly sweet, but pretty plain. I couldn't really taste the almond, and I was wishing I'd added some spice (any spice). The jam was the brightest spot, but really I could have eaten a teaspoon of jam and saved myself the aggravation!
My mother actually liked the muffins. But I felt kind of bad giving her failed muffins, so I also gave her some lemon poppy seed muffins I baked from a freebie mix that King Arthur threw in with my last order. Um, somebody might have bought too many baking supplies...
Ingredients for 18 muffins, as adapted by me:
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c oat flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites
3/4 tsp almond extract
1 3/4 c nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 c whole greek yogurt
12 T jam (some strawberry, some huckleberry)
1 1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
Sorry to be posting the April recipe in May; April just got away from me. Too much baking, too little time to post!