Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Pinishers: DIY barn wedding reception adventure


 This week's theme for the Pinisher link-up is "Adventures" and my greatest Pinterest adventure was the reason I joined Pinterest in the first place.

Back in 2010 my daughter was newly engaged and my specific purpose in signing up for Pinterest was to get ideas for the wedding.  The young couple wanted to hold their wedding reception on a farm.  Did I talk sense into them?  No, I actually thought it was a cool idea. 

While I'd never yearned to make all the things for a wedding that's pretty much what ended up happening.  Our barn reception turned out to be a major exercise in Do It Yourself.  There had never been a reception in this working barn, and we had to figure it out from scratch.  Luckily we had lots of help from friends and family when it came to set-up week.

In the early planning stages I started a Pinterest Board imaginatively titled "barn reception" and it soon filled with lots of rustic ideas.  In fact almost everything that we did for the reception was inspired by Pinterest finds, and I could (and might) fill many many posts with reports of the various barn wedding-y projects.

Today's post will show how we spruced up the barn entrance.

Here's the iconic reception-in-a-barn photo pin:

Seriously, if you go to Pinterest and search "barn reception" you will find scads of barns with white gauzy curtains in the doorway (for example here, here, and here), with or without a big wreath somewhere on the barn.  I think the photo above is the original and subsequently oft-copied barn + curtain + wreath combination (but the pin doesn't go anywhere except to an image file).

As cool as that Pinterest barn looked, white curtains weren't going to work for us because (1) our barn was white and boring and (2) the bride wanted COLOR and PATTERN.


I live 1000 miles from the wedding site and didn't have the measurements of the barn door height so I guessed.  The six fabrics (from four different stores, including IKEA, Hancock, and some local warehouse stores) were varied in color, scale, and type of pattern (check, plaid, houndstooth, 3 floral).  In more than one case I bought all that was left on the bolt, offering up a little prayer that it would be long enough.  Which it pretty much was, and we just hoped nobody would notice when it wasn't (you didn't notice, right? right!)


How did we execute the curtain idea?  We (and by "we" I mean the groom and his friends) attached the fabric to the top of the doorway with a staple gun and a ladder.

Here's a pin of our handiwork!  (we also made the banner on the side of the barn)

 

Once the wedding was over we ended up with lots and lots of fabric.  My daughter and her husband are now renovating a "broken" Victorian-era house, and they plan to use the barn curtain fabrics to make curtains for their house.  Wouldn't it be cool if she uses Pinterest to figure out how to make them? (although a staple gun would work in a pinch)

 
Go check out more Pinished Adventures on Dorian's round-up post.  If you want to join (and you should!) the upcoming themes are here.

2 comments:

bobbi @ revolution of love blog.com said...

I love this idea! I wish they had Pinterest when i was planning my wedding years ago. :-)

Rebecca said...

You did a great job. It's so interesting to read about how you were inspired by Pinterest, etc. It looks wonderful. Looking forward to seeing more in this barn reception series!