Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Pinishers: a beginner's gallery wall

[I know that the photo below is not a plate of food or a yummy dessert.  I'm joining Dorian's Pinisher link-up again this week, and the theme is "home,"]


A few years ago my cousin and her husband bought a new house.  Three days after the moving van dropped off all of their earthly belongings, they had a completed picture-perfect house: furniture positioned, drapes at the windows, every picture hung.  And although we must have some DNA in common, seeing as we're related, I definitely don't share her "finished house" gene. 

In fact, we moved into our current house 12 years ago, and we are just now getting around to putting things on most of the walls.  Which is not to say that I haven't been thinking about some of these walls for a very long time.  And I've been bringing favorite pictures to the frame shop, and then stacking them on bookshelves.  I even created a whole board just for "walls" on Pinterest:

Most of my pins feature "gallery walls" that is, collections of pictures hung in a big group, usually on a big wall. One example is this pin (which doesn't lead to any additional info, just a photo link):


and this pin (which leads to a HGTV post about fall 2012's trends - see I'm just 6 months behind the leading edge!):

Although I hope to tackle bigger groups of pictures on other walls in the future (watch this space!) I started with a modest gallery-ish wall, similar to this pin (the link leads to a blog post about perfect paint colors, which, indeed has lots of photos of rooms in beautiful neutral hues):


I finally took the plunge and hung some pictures in a group on the end wall of our family room:


I'm amazed at how much more complete the room looks, just by adding six pictures.  I mean, you almost don't notice that our end table is an old wooden packing crate, right?

These pictures make a good group because they are all drawings (well, one's a collage) of our family (and our house) and they're all fairly neutral.  Two were done by my daughter and one by my husband, so I wanted them to be in a prominent spot. 


The wall is my view from the kitchen sink, and seeing all the drawings hanging together makes me smile.  I'm glad I finally pinished this project!  Head over to Dorian's post to see what home-y things the other Pinishers were up to this week.
Pinisher blog link-up

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

That wall looks terrific, Nancy! This Pinishers project is very cool, and off to a great start.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this weekend is nice for me, for the reason that this
point in time i am reading this impressive informative article here at my home.



Also visit my page yellow lab and golden retriever mix

Dorian Speed said...

Oh, this is stunning! I want to make a joke about how your wall is now gOAR-geous but...it would be way too unclassy for your blog.